Tuesday, November 08, 2005

My roommates

I just walked into the kitchen just now to grab some water and I saw something that prompted me to write this.

A huge pack of rolls of toilet paper and kitchen towels.

I know it sounds really mundane but it is really quite indicative of the relationship amongst the three of us living in this apartment. You see, we had just run out of toilet paper and I was thinking of getting a pack of it today but I guess I was busy with other things. But I think Andrew came back from Duane Reade (local pharmacy with 2 branches in the area) with it. This is the way we do things in this apartment. We don't need to say anything to each other or roster cleaning of the kitchen or bathroom. When we feel it's dirty enough we just clean it. Two weekends ago Alex decided that the kitchen and bathroom were dirty, so he proceeded to clean them up. It's funny to see Alex in his boxers (and T-shirt, in case you were wondering) wielding a sponge with his glove-covered hands and scrubbing the bathtub. When I came back that day the kitchen was spotlessly clean.

This does not mean that the place is usually filthy. It isn't -- and I think those who have visited my place can attest to that. It's just quite interesting that we never ever argue over whose dishes have not been washed. We know who uses what and when -- without ever discussing it. And the garbage bag just gets brought down to the basement for disposal. It could be Alex, it could be Andrew, it could be me. But basically there's no proper system -- whoever is at home at the time the garbage is full just brings it down. No questions asked. Oh, and we sort out stuff for recycling as well.

Of course I do my part as well. I've cleaned the bathroom up a lot and the kitchen as well. I was the one who bought the bathmat and sometimes I'd just do the dishes (including theirs) since it really isn't that much trouble. Oh and yeah I'm the one to put the toilet paper in the holder. It's really quite funny that whenever the toilet paper runs out in the holder, I always see a fresh roll of toilet paper sitting on the sink. I think neither Andrew nor Alex knows how to install the toilet paper into the holder. But I'll put it in for them. It's just one of our "things".

Amongst the three of us, Andrew and Alex are the ones who hang out a lot with each other since they were 1Ls in law school. They're now in their third and final year and both have jobs in law firms. Andrew (from LA) is going to work in New York and Alex (from Long Island, New York) is going to work in LA. Yeah it's funny. Although I don't hang out with them so much I really thank God there's really no room for conflict whatsoever. Not even loud music. When they play loud music they just shut the door (and I think also to hide vainly the fact that they sing along to the music) and it doesn't bother me so much.

Oh and the best part is that we wake up at different times (Alex is usually in bed till 12, Andrew and I take turns (again without discussing it) to wake up earlier) so we never need to fight over the bathroom or anything like that in the morning.

So yeah I'm going to bed quite pleased, knowing that I've got toilet paper for tomorrow morning. All thanks to my roommates. :)

No comments: