Saturday, December 10, 2005

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Last night I went with the ABSK bunch to watch the first instalment of the Chronicles of Narnia. I remember reading the whole series of seven by C.S. Lewis when I was much younger, but possibly not in chronological order. I borrowed the books one by one from the library and I took whichever was available. But certainly the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is the best one to start the series with.

And the movie was quite spectacular. Everyone should go and watch it. When I have time I'll write a more complete entry about my thoughts on the movie but basically it's really quite true to the book and even the dialogue is taken from C.S. Lewis's own words.

Oh and I witnessed (albeit in the dark) my first movie scuffle. It was very bizarre and truly quite surreal. We were watching the movie. Suddenly in the middle of one of the early scenes in the movie, there was much shouting and people started scrambling from their seats and actually exiting the theatre. I just sat there, and Anastasia behind me thought someone was probably having a panic attack (and to be honest, it was during one exciting scene) but then suddenly we realised people were having a fight. In the middle of a perfectly nice movie!! There was quite a scuffle and then after 1 min or so the security guards came in with their torchlights and got the two crazy fellas to step out of the theatre. In the light from their torches, I could see that one guy had his shirt off!! (Argh -- what on earth do people do in the theatre? Esp during a screening of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe?!!)

After that rather bizarre episode (meanwhile the film just went on!) we tried to figure out what was going on in the movie and then continued our visual journey through Narnia.

The first movie fight I ever witnessed. Now THAT surely goes into the annals of my year in New York.

2 comments:

leah said...

do you remember when we were in cambodia we had to have our bags checked (for bombs? firearms? heroin?) and locked up before we could go in to watch that stupid old hongkong horror flick? and the RATS running around around our feet? plus the interminable Bollywood trailers that had us wondering if we were in the wrong theatre. haha. that's certainly one of my more striking cinema-going memories. ah, good times.

Kenneth said...

No I'm sure our bags were checked for video recorders! Not bombs or firearms or heroin! (although something tells me we should have brought in rodenticide or something.)

Yeah that's true. Very very striking cinema-going memories. But fight in the New York cinema (and this was not in Bronx or Harlem but in Upper West Side!) also quite memorable!