I've always liked Casting Crown's lyrics -- they are always candid and transparent, and explore issues that most Christians may prefer to steer clear from. Take a look at the lyrics to this song from their album "Lifesong":
Stained Glass Masquerade
Is there anyone that fails
Is there anyone that falls
Am I the only one in church today feeling so small
Cos when I take a look around
Everybody seems so strong
I know they'll soon discover
That I don't belong
So I tuck it all away, like everything's okay
If I make them all believe it, maybe I'll believe it too
So with a painted grin, I play the part again
So everyone will see me the way that I see them
Are we happy plastic people
Under shiny plastic steeples
With walls around our weakness
And smiles to hide our pain?
But if the invitation's open
To every heart that has been broken
Maybe then we close the curtain
On our stained glass masquerade
Is there anyone who's been there
Are there any hands to raise
Am I the only one who's traded in
The altar for a stage
The performance is convincing
And we know every line by heart
Only when no one is watching
Can we really fall apart
But would it set me free
If I dared to let you see
The truth behind the person
That you imagine me to be
Would your arms be open
Or would you walk away
Would the love of Jesus
Be enough to make you stay?
Is there anyone that fails
Is there anyone that falls
Am I the only one in church today feeling so small?
____________________________
"And He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.'" 2 Cor 12:9
I thought it might well be a part of our Asian culture -- to appear invulnerable, to seem as if we can handle the cares that the world thrusts in our face. At the same time, it could be a part of our pride manifesting itself in our stoic (or worse, happy) faces.
Have you ever had those msn conversations where you can feel that the person on the other line is feeling some kind of pain but his/her replies to you are filled with ":)" or ":D"? Are we being considerate when we withhold our true emotions from others, thus sparing them the burden of having to share our woes, or are we being proud, giving the impression that we're sailing fine when instead we're sinking? I often tell people that I've got a very expressive face -- you can tell from one look at me that I'm happy or sad, angry or disappointed. But what if I'm hiding behind the msn screen? And as I mature, sometimes it seems that the more mature, grown-up thing to do is not to let your emotions show that easily. I was once given advice that I should control the contortions (and I suppose, contours) of my face.
I suppose there is that part of growing up. But another part of growing up is trusting in God's strength to pull you through. Do you believe that Jesus works through His body? And do you believe that the church is His body? Then trust in Jesus, and in the brothers and sisters He has provided for you -- even if you think that they won't or don't or can't understand.
I'm certainly not the only one who fails or falls or feels small. But Jesus promises to make me and you stand up tall. Shall we hold each other up?
Monday, January 30, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment